Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Idea

Dear Diary,
I want to create a game that is unique, innovative, easy to play, has potential to be loved, and easy enough for me to develop. Is it even possible to create something new and not derivative?
 I though a lot about what type of game I wanted to make. I spent a lot of time playing the "most popular" games trying to divine what makes a "hit" game.  I am not ashamed that I want to make something that has a potential for success, and the truth is successful games are popular because they have something. I boiled down my targets to a few "ingredients" for success.

Key Games: Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope

Physics - There is a life and unexpectedness physics brings to games.
One Touch - There are a lot of reasons for the power of one touch, the clearest is simplicity.
Cute - Games that are cute are approachable. They make players happy, and we need happy.
Bite Sized - Mobile games are consumed in incredibly short session times. They need to from start to success   fast.

So what was I going to do? I started to have this idea about a platforming game like mario, that could be played with one finger. I thought about a ball that I could juggle in the air, similar to a Hackey Sack. Players kinda kick the ball around the screen, bouncing it off walls, and try to get to the exit.  Players earn rewards for completing levels in the least ammount of "kicks"  And shockingly, the idea was ready. It fulfilled my core goals, and I think I could actually execute the programming required to make it work. Now I actually had to do the hard part. Start working on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment